Ebola Virus outbreak in Lagos
what you need to know!
There is a message on Ebola Virus outbreak in Lagos circulating in the social media right now. Here is the message said to have been a US STATE DEPARTMENT EBOLA ALERT.
“ In order to help our Embassy Community better understand some key points about Ebola virus we consulted with our medical specialists at the U S State Department & assembled this list below, worded in plain language for easy understanding.
• The suspected reservoirs for Ebola are fruit bats.
• Transmission to humans is thought to originate from infected bats or primates that have become infected by bats. Undercooked infected bat and primate (bush) meat transmits the virus to humans.
• Human to human transmission is only achieved by physical contact with a person who is acutely and gravely ill from Ebola virus or their body fluids.
• Transmission among humans is almost exclusively among caregiver family members or health care workers tending to the very ill.
• The virus is easily killed by contact with soap, bleach, sunlight, or drying. A washing machine will kill the virus in clothing saturated with infected body fluids.
• A person can incubate the virus without symptoms for 2-21 days, the average being 5-8 days before becoming ill. THEY ARE NOT CONTAGIOUS until they are acutely ill.
• Only when ill does the viral load express itself first in the blood and other bodily fluids (e.g. vomit, feaces, urine, breast milk, semen and sweat).
• If you are walking around you are not infectious to others.
• There are documented cases from Kikwit, DRC of a situation in a village that had the custom of children never touching an ill adult; Children living for days in one room huts with parents who died from Ebola did not become infected.
• You can’t contract Ebola by handling money or swimming in a pool.
•There's no medical reason to stop flights, close borders, restrict travel or close embassies, businesses or schools.
• Always practice good hand washing techniques; you will not contract Ebola if you do not touch a dying person.”
While your immune system is busy protecting you what is protecting your immune system? Learn how best to protect your immune system now.